Stephen King Recommendations?

Talk about eBooks with other enthusiasts
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stephen King Recommendations?

Unread post by siberian202angel »

Stephen King has released a plethora of books and I am curious - if you've read any of his - which ones you would recommend to someone like me who doesn't read horror all that often?
I was accidentally exposed to both the Cujo and Pet Sematary films when I was still too young and it left some scars... I tried reading Misery when I was older and it was picked for book club, but It didn't really work for me.
Still, it is such a renowned author and I want to give him another chance, so hopefully I can benefit from your experiences. :D
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
"There was death at its beginning, as there would be death again at its end."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you fail, you'll land among the stars."
yip123j

Re: Stephen King Recommendations?

Unread post by yip123j »

"If It Bleeds" is one of his most recent, and it's a good one to start with. It's basically a collection of four novellas that are only slightly creepy with a touch of horror. The stories showcase King's mastery of writing, creating unique atmospheres that only he can do, AND they're short, easy reads. Nothing at all like "Pet Sematary" or "It" :-) Although in my opinion, "It" is one of my favourites :-) Another EXCELLENT book that's not all horror, blood and gore is "The Green Mile". I loved that one too - and instead of making me shiver deliciously, it made me cry. I highly recommend that one :-)
Jace1709
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Jace1709 »

'IT' definitly lives up to the reputation it has, Salem's Lot is fantastic, and so is The Shining which is unbeleivably tension filled. Those 3 stand out for me, but honestly all of his books up to The Dark Half (going by release dates) are great. Can't say anything about later releases since i haven't read them yet.
ZaFlertinflouse should be the next James Bond.
Par
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Par »

11/22/63 is the only King book i have read and it was excellent. Not at all horror, more time travel alt history.
yip123j

Unread post by yip123j »

@Jace1709 Did you read Doctor Sleep yet? It's the sequel to The Shining, and I liked it BETTER :-D
yip123j

Unread post by yip123j »

@Par I haven't read that one yet, and it's probably 'cuz I went and watched the mini series 11.22.63 first :-D I should go and put it back onto my TBR pile
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Thanks for weighing in, I think I'll try to read Green Mile sometime soon...
"Wind howled through the night, carrying the scent that would change the world."
Jace1709
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Unread post by Jace1709 »

@yip123j Not yet, i was getting a bit tired of the grimness of his books so i put them on the back burner. I'll get back to them eventually.
ZaFlertinflouse should be the next James Bond.
yip123j

Unread post by yip123j »

@Jace1709 I get it! I was there too, only in my case I just kinda outgrew his books after my university days and Real Life started :-) I picked up Doctor Sleep at my local library because it was in the New Paperbacks section and I'm a sucker for brand-new-never-touched books :-), and because I noticed it was a sequel to The Shining. Before Doctor Sleep and If It Bleeds (also brand-new at the library), it has to have been like 20 years since I've last read Stephen King :-)
yip123j

Unread post by yip123j »

@siberian202angel It's a bit of clunker (talking about the length of the book and not the plot), but it's definitely worth a read. Or like I mentioned before, if you want Stephen King in smaller doses so you can work yourself up to the longer heavier tomes, If It Bleeds is a good place to start :-) But that's just me - I love short stories exactly because they're short, sweet and to the point! :-)
siberian202angel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

yip123j wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:06 pm if you want Stephen King in smaller doses so you can work yourself up to the longer heavier tomes,
Good idea, [mention]yip123j[/mention], especially if you're - like me - still a bit undecided about the author. I might go with one of his more popular short stories such as The Body or Shawshank Redemption.
Several of my friends do find Stephen King to be either hit or miss - one is auto-buying literally anything he writes, another wouldn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole and most others have books they liked and books they hated.